Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Oy!

Wad up!?!?

hahaha hey everyone! :D Today is Wednesday, June 30th, 2010 at 3:03pm. So updates on what I'm doing: for the past three days we have started our volunteer projects and they have been very interesting. On Monday, we were along the Ross River collecting data on the water quality (a lot of chemistry stuff). Yesterday, we went to two different sites along Stuart Creek and collected water bugs to help identify how much pollution was in the water (go bugs!). Then today, we went to the Bohle Wetlands and took out over 2,000 sq meters of weeds and grasses not native to this area. So basically, today was our first test of actual labor. It is hot here, about 27 degrees c. so it's pretty warm.

The group I'm with is pretty cool. There are 9 of us total, including our project leader, Alex. He's the only other one from NC or in fact the southeast of the US. Others are from California, Kansas, Michigan, Ohio, Connecticut, and Canada! I have already been made fun of for saying "Y'all" and had to correct them on how to spell it as well. They got my name after 2 tries or so which is pretty cool! So, 3 guys + 6 girls. oh yeah, lots of estrogen around. We cook all of our meals right now, even a bag lunch for our working days, so it feels like college a little bit! We have group discussions every few days and keep a journal on everything that goes on, which is extremely helpful because I don't think I could remember all of the stories to share with you when I get back!!!

Again, I'm sorry I don't have pictures just yet. This was another sparatic trip to the internet den as a side trip from the bank ;)

Tomorrow the plan is to plant trees out in the Town Commons and then Friday work at a Nursery planting seeds. Time is not flying by like I had expected but not dragging along. So far there have been exciting moments, like our house visitors including an opposum and a lizard, fire alarms going off from a burnt morning breakfast, and Taylor, one of the guys, falling into the water on Monday! :) He is not living it down.

Okay folks! That's just about it on the update for now! I have money now so I will be able to put up pictures soon! I PROMISE! I'm wearing sunscreen, bugspray, protective gear, a goofy hat, and I have all of my digits! (That's for you mom!)

I love you all very much! 'Til next time! *MWAH*

2 comments:

  1. Love it! I didn't realize your daily projects would vary so much. That's really cool - and I'm sure it keeps things interesting for you guys :)

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stay cool and keep the posts coming! We love you and are so proud of you!

    We finally had a day without it reaching 90 degrees yesterday thanks to the front that came across NC. It is nice today and only going to be in the 80's the next few days! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete